CAN meetings are in blue and Issue Area Group meetings are in red. Other community events are not colored.Category: C.A.N. Events Calendar
Date: Thursday, December 8, 2011 - 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
APD offers free VIN etching on cars
Etching available at public locations in Austin
AUSTIN (KXAN) - The Austin Police Department has a program that could help vehicle owners reduce the cost of their auto insurance.
The Auto Theft Interdiction Project provides free VIN number etching for vehicles. The etching is a permanent theft-deterrent device applied to all the windows of your vehicle, and may result in a 15 percent reduction in automobile insurance, according to APD.
When the VIN number etchings are applied, thieves will see the etched windows and think twice about stealing your vehicle. As a result of the etching, thieves will have to replace every piece of glass on your vehicle before illegally selling it. This costs the thieves extra time and money, enough to make them move on to easier targets.
APD will have staff at the following locations in Austin starting Wednesday, and citizens can have their VIN numbers etched free of charge:
- Nov. 9: Fiesta Mart, 3909 N. Interstate Highway 35, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Nov. 18: HEB Store, 7112 Ed Bluestein Blvd., from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Nov. 30: Dell, North 1, 301 W. Howard Lane, from 10 a.m. to 1 p .m.
- Dec. 8: Target Store at Arboretum, 10107 Research Blvd., from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Dec. 15: Target Southpark Meadows, 9500 S. IH-35, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.